Total Pageviews

Friday, May 23, 2014

Mark Cuban "scandal"

This is such a non story it is bothersome.  The guy is under fire for an interview he gave where he said the following:

"I mean, we're all prejudiced in one way or another. If I see a black kid in a hoodie and it's late at night, I'm walking to the other side of the street. And if on that side of the street, there's a guy that has tattoos all over his face -- white guy, bald head, tattoos everywhere -- I'm walking back to the other side of the street. And the list goes on of stereotypes that we all live up to and are fearful of. So in my businesses, I try not to be hypocritical. I know that I'm not perfect. I know that I live in a glass house, and it's not appropriate for me to throw stones."

I agree with him.  Whether it is being prejudiced or cautious or whatever you want to call it, it's true.  I would like to find one person say that if they saw a black guy in a hoodie and it's late at night or a white guy, bald head, tattoos everywhere, that they would be totally comfortable.  Perhaps that is not being prejudiced.  Maybe it's just being cautious.  Maybe he used the wrong words.  The black guy in a hoodie does conjure up memories of Trayvon Martin which Cuban has already apologized for but this "story" is ridiculous and it's annoying that it gets this much air.  People/media LOVE to make a story. 

Look, I don't believe Cuban is a card carrying member of the KKK.  However, again, whether you want to call it stereotypes or prejudice or bias, I believe everyone has those to one degree or another and I don't think there is anything wrong with what he said.  Also, to compare his comments to what Sterling said is even more ridiculous. 

People need to grow up, get a life, and move on to more important things. 

No comments: