Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

NHL on Wii

Last night, I played the NHL game on Wii and I was throttled. I played the 29th ranked player and the guy just took me out of my game. After going down early, I bounced back to make it a 3-2 game but then the guy just took over and I got frustrated and was taken out of my game. It was like 8-2 and I quit with a few minutes left. I have only quit 1 or 2 games previously and don't like quitting but I was at the height of frustration and could not take anymore.

Knowing that I couldn't end the night on that note, I had to play again. I jumped out to an early lead but the guy I was playing against would return a goal of his own on every goal that I scored. I held a 3-2 lead after just a couple of minutes. Then the guy went on a tear and took a 8-3 lead midway through the second period. Again, I was frustrated as I don't know if I have ever suffered two consecutive defeats. I was even more angry as every time this dude scored he would listen to the horn celebrating the goal and then watch the replays of the goal. For those not familiar with the game, after a goal, you can bypass all of the celebration and get back to the game or you can watch multiple angle replays of the goal and listen to the crowd. It's similar to a guy hitting a home run and watching it clear the fences before trotting around the bases.

I was able to get a couple of goals to end the second period to make it 8-5. In between periods, Boudreau had a stern "talk" with the players (this basically constituted me yelling at myself and my kids with maybe a couple of slaps). Anyways, we came out in the third period on fire. Scored an early goal to make it 8-6. Scored another one with 13+ minutes left to make it 8-7. Defense and Varly tightened up and made some good stops. Got the equalizer with about 5 minutes left. We each had good opportunities in the final couple of minutes but it ended up going to OT tied at 8-8. Not more than a minute into OT, Ovie brought it down the right side and swung towards the middle taking a wicked wrist shot that Lundqvist (I was playing the Rangers) dove and stopped but he left a juicy rebound and was well out of position. The puck went right to Backstrom who had an open net and he easily dumped it into the ocean getting the game winner. Caps win 9-8 in OT. Dude proceeded to disconnect immediately after the goal. I'm sure it was a bitter pill for him to swallow. For me, the celebrations began and I was able to get a great sleep.

I still haven't cracked the top 100 ranking but that is just a matter of time.

2 comments:

Rob said...

Dude - you are living the dream.

j, k, and s's d said...

Clean living, friend. Clean living.