Total Pageviews

Friday, July 9, 2010

Lucas

So the movie du jour last night was Lucas. I woke up around 3 am and made the poor decision of turning on the tv. I was lucky enough to have found the 80s film Lucas was playing. I think I have seen this movie like 20 times but it has been a number of years since I had seen it. It stars Corey Haim as Lucas. It also stars Charlie Sheen, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Kerri Green, and Jeremy Piven.

It's the classic tale of the underdog who rises up through many challenges to finally be accepted by his peers in the end. It's funny though because I remember watching this movie way back when and being annoyed how the Charlie Sheen character who was dating Courtney Thorne-Smith (cheerleader captain) started flirting with Kerri Green (new girl in town and Lucas' love interest) and how Thorne-Smith and Lucas were both jealous of the relationship developing between Sheen and Green but it didn't matter and then Sheen and Green ended up going out. Kind of funny because as I was watching again this morning, I had the same sentiments. Sheen was dating his girlfriend for several years and apparently it was serious. Still, he seemed immediately enamoured with Green and on the day he broke up with Smith, he started dating Green. What an ass! I probably have gone on too long about that which is a side story to the movie but still it bothers me.

Anyways, great film and it is the way I want to remember the late Corey Haim. The previous sentence was said somewhat in jest.

GO LUCAS!!!!

2 comments:

deepie said...

Never heard of this '80s flick...It must be a few notches below Fast Times and/or The Breakfast Club on the popularity meter.

Waking up at 3AM to watch TV is a bit much...You'd be better served by introducing your vageejay to your favorite sex toy for a couple minutes until you're ready to sleep again...But if Lucas is what you prefer, who am I to stop you?

j, k, and s's d said...

For your information, I did "introduce" my "vageejay" to my favorite sex toy. You should know it well too since you gave it to me last valentine's day. You know, the miniature, mechanical replica of you that includes your ugly oversized head.

Then it was on to Lucas. How could you not know Lucas? Actually, it wasn't much of a hit in theaters. Seemed more like a cult classic on HBO. It's what put Haim on the map.

Lucas is the story of a weak, nerd that is the joke of the town and that can never get the girl and is trounced on and ridiculed by everyone in school and...wait a minute. Am I describing Lucas or the story of Deepie? The story of Lucas seems eerily similar to the life of Deepie. WEIRD!!!