Total Pageviews

Monday, November 23, 2009

Skins fall

It was the worst of all possible situations. I could have been happy with a victory or an embarrassing loss but to lose in a competitive game only means that the front office thinks that we are close and it just means more of the same.

It was a tough game. I feel badly for our defense. We have a 10-11 win defense but a poor offense. Our O line is improved from a few weeks ago but still weak. I do like that we are starting to mix the young receivers into the mix. I like JC. Too bad Betts tore his ACL and MCL but Cartwright came in and gave us a boost. The guy runs and works hard and should get a good opportunity this week against the Eagles with Portis and Betts both out. The O line suffered another injury with Rinehart going down with a broken leg. I imagine either Mike Williams or Will Montgomery will step in. Just another patch in a makeshift line.

Suisham, who didn't miss a FG all year, missed on two (a 38 and 50 yarder). Those were tough because they both came at critical moments. The first one was missed right before the halftime in which we saw a 10 minute delay because of some poor officiating and where the ball should be spotted. Because of the delay, I think the miss was even more critical. Each coach was arguing for field position and after such a delay to come up empty was even more deflating.

The second miss was even more critical. We had just come up with a London Fletcher INT and the FG would have made it a two possession game with 7 minutes and change left. When he missed, you kind of knew that Dallas was going to come down and score which they did. There was still time for the Skins to get a FG and we started moving the ball and I felt pretty good but then JC threw a ball that was tipped and intercepted sealing the loss.

In some ways, I feel like we are playing our best football of the season the last couple of weeks. I feel like guys are playing with a little more heart. I liked to see Landry and other defensive guys out there showing a little more energy and emotion. I would like to see more of that. I like that the younger receivers are stepping up a little. Again, I like JC. I would love to see how the offense would run with a strong O line. I am only assuming whether Cerrato is fired or not, we draft a couple of O linemen and then get a couple more in FA. If we can shore that up and get some consistency on offense, I really feel like we could be a good team because this defense is sound.

Anyway, on to Philly. Looks like we will be playing the role of spoiler and be playing for pride the rest of the way. I hope to get more looks at some of the younger guys.

No comments: