Total Pageviews

Monday, November 28, 2011

Skins beat the 'Hawks

Good win yesterday. At this point, I don't get too caught up with a win or a loss but rather I want to see good effort. Yesterday I saw that. I thought we played well and I thought it was a well coached game as well. Here are my highlights:

1. Rexy was good. For the second straight week, the guy played well. He had solid numbers and made a number of nice throws especially on the crossing routes. He did have two picks but I didn't mind the first one. Sure, it came at an inopportune time on our side of the field but it was a very good play by a tall DB with very long arms. That is not a pick with 99% of the other CBs in the league. The second pick was a very poor decision as he threw it into triple coverage after one or two offensive plays sending our D right back out on the field. However, all in all a very good effort throwing for 300+ yards and two TDs. Funny because Scott was complaining about how Rexy wasn't playing well but he views things through a different lense and seems to expect perfection when it comes to the QB position - especially the Redskins QB.

2. Helu solid. Helu started and saw the bulk of the work on all downs. The guy is an every down player and seems better suited than Torain for the offense right now. For the first time in weeks, we were actually able to establish some run game. His TD was a great run as he leaped over the defender for the touchdown. He is also a solid receiver out of the backfield.

3. Solid O line play. I was content with the O line play. Rexy was hit and took I believe one sack but it is a pretty good Seattle defense and I was fine with the protection.

4. Defense was good. We pretty much held Seattle in check. Lynch did get 100+ yards but we limited them for the most part. Unfortunately gave up a TD off of a Skin turnover on a short field. Also, gave up a FG on a really bad pass interference call on Josh Wilson but other than that, I was pleased with their effort.

5. Return of D. Hall. I thought he had a very good game. Made some nice plays defending passes sent his way. Also fitting to finish the game with an INT. Great rebound game after his issues last week.

6. Guano sucks. Okay maybe the blocked FG and PAT wasn't really his fault but I am just not comfortable with him there. I think the guy is on thin ice. I am fine with him for the rest of the year but I basically look at it as a tryout. Lets see what he can do and I would give him opportunities for some longer kicks and see if he can make some and decide if he will be our kicker next year. Lets not forget the kickoff out of bounds too. It was almost like he was trying to find a way to get cut yesterday.

7. Solid coaching. It really seemed like there was a solid game plan coming into this game. I liked all the crossing patterns and setting up the screens. They seemed to be very effective. I was also happy that we got some type of run game going as that really helped set up the play action. If we can generate some solid run game, I believe the play action pass will be there because Rexy is pretty good at that.

All in all, pleased with the effort. Was also nice to get a comeback victory. Again, mostly happy because the team fought hard and hasn't shown any signs of quitting. I just want to see the kind of effort we have put in the last few weeks continue as it gives us something to build off of going into next year. I really believe the season got derailed when we took Beck out. It just broke the entire flow of the offense and the season. We are still playing catch up but it's obvious we are a better team with Rexy in there. We have some tougher games coming up so it will be interesting to see how the team/players respond.

HAIL SKINS!!!

1 comment:

Rob said...

The last paragraph says it all. If Rex had been your QB instead of that 3 game stretch with Beck, the Deadskins would probably be 6-5 and in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Too bad.

I would say Rex should be your starter to start next year and then work in whoever the rookie stud QB is as the season goes on if the team is struggling.

Just get rid of Beck - he stinks.