Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

John Beck starting QB for the Redskins?

After not selecting a quarterback in April's draft, Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan talked glowingly of backup John Beck. In a radio interview Monday, Beck made it clear he thinks he's ready to take over as the team's starter.

"I believe I'm a starter in the NFL," Beck said in a SiriusXM NFL Radio interview Monday.

I think I am hoping that the lockout continues through the season.

Actually, I don't know a whole lot about Beck but my feelings are that he is not the answer. Frankly, as much as I bash Rexy, I would prefer him to be the QB this coming year.

Odds are the Skins are not going to compete for the Super Bowl this year. We have a lot of missing pieces; however, I thought they did a great job in the draft and addressed many of the issues but we are still a work in progress.

I would prefer to have Rexy have the opportunity to show us if he can be a consistent NFL starting QB. He has flashes of brilliance but he also has flashes of WTF is he doing?!! I suppose it is okay to see what Beck can offer but if nothing else would like to see a competition in training camp/preseason to see who deserves the starting job.

I know Shanny is really high on Beck and was thrilled to bring him in here for pretty much nothing last season. Seems like Kyle Shanny likes Rexy. Whatever. We'll see how it plays out.

2 comments:

JSR said...

I got here and wasnt sure I entered the right address.
I like the new look for you blog site instead of that burgundy and yellow mess.


Well I think starting Beck is the right move. Atleast give him a few games to see what he can do. Atleast for the sake of not letting him slip by and becoming a superstar somewhere else. Not likely that he will but you never know.

I think the Skins need a top tier QB to have any kind of chance of returning to glory. They havent had one really since Theismann. Sure theyve had a good year or two out of someone of their QB's but no one to build a franchise around. I dont know how they are going to get one. Drafting and develping one requires too many things to go right and a lot of patience. which i dont know if dan has. Or maybe finding someone under the radar. Maybe Beck is that guy.

Even if Beck is the right guy, itll take him some time to become a consistent winner. This year, I cant see the Skins going better than 8-8. However 8-8 is realisitc because their defense has def gotten better and will continue to get even better. Offense cant be any worse. If they dont get atleast 8 wins, then I think serious questions will be asked of Shanny (not by me, but redskins nation and mostly Dan S) and he'll be under immense pressure to deliver better results the following year. Itll be an all or nothing year for him.

So I think Shanny has two seasons to get this team to a 10-6 record. If he can do that, then he will have shown improvement and that the team is going in a positive direction and Dan the man will lay low and give him some more time, and then anything is possible.

j, k, and s's d said...

Everything couldn't be fixed in one offseason. The Skins did a really good job in the draft by trading for more draft picks and then drafting for need.

The QBs available this year were not considered a great class so it was good to stay away from them and focus on other pressing needs.

Again, we are in rebuilding mode. A QB was not going to cure all the ills with the Skins. We addressed D line, WR, RB which were all needs. We still have some issues with the O line but even they came together stronger in the latter part of the season.

I am good with letting Grossman and Beck battle it out for the starting job. Lets see if either one of these guys is capable of being a starter.

The interesting thing is that Rexy apparently thinks he is the starter even though he is not signed.

Again, my preference is Rexy but Beck deserves a shot to compete for the spot. Lets see what we have in these two guys.

Next draft needs to focus on O line and probably QB. CB would be a need but lower on the rung of needs.