Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Speaking of Rambo and Missionaries...

I had a couple of young missionaries come to my house yesterday. I was in my office and the blinds were open and the lights were on so I saw them coming and they saw I was at home so I knew I had to answer the door. I was thinking, "Oh shat!"

Anyhoo, they knock, I answer and they cordially introduce themselves and ask if I know the prophet Joseph Smith. I proceeded to pull out a Rambo like knife and tell them that if they don't get the F outta here, I am going to carve some bacon off of their backs and feed it to them. NOW GET OUTTA HERE!!

Okay, seriously, I politely tell them no, I don't know who Joseph Smith is but that I am totally comfortable in my beliefs and that they don't need to waste their time talking to me. They continue that they are trying to spread the word of God and give people a direction and so forth. Again, I say that that is great but I am comfortable with who I am and what I believe. This is true by the way. I am very comfortable with who I am and my relationship with God.

They thank me and ask if there are any neighbors I know of that might be looking for answers. I told them that the kid across the street sucks at math and may need some help. Okay, I joke again. I told them no and that they can continue to go door to door.

Now I can appreciate these guys doing what they are doing. I just don't want to be bothered by them. I know religion is a sensistive subject but I just don't like these guys thinking that (and it is not their fault, this is what they have been taught) that they are enlightened and saved and that they need to save others. Anyway, I wanted to get out of that conversation as quickly as possible and I did and I thank God for that!

3 comments:

Rob said...

Actually, I am not bothered by these folks, unless they get too pushy. I think there are a lot of lost people who can use some direction and guidance an if this missionary work didn't result in some converts they wouldn't do it.

When I have time and someone (or some people) like this shows up at my door, I actually enjoy talking to them about God.

j, k, and s's d said...

That's good for you.

Personally, I don't like anyone showing up at my door unexpectedly. In this case, I had come home from work and didn't really want to listen to these guys.

I appreciate that they have found God and they are comfortable in their beliefs. I too think they can provide some lost souls some service. However, I live in a very pish posh neighborhood. Okay, it's not pish posh but it is a better than American average neighborhood. Most of the people that live in my neighborhood probably do pretty well and must be comfortable with the lifestyles/beliefs that they have. Given that, other than some practicing Christians, I don't think these missionaries will find many people willing to listen to them in our neighborhood. I may be wrong but that is what I believe.

They certainly provide help and they are doing God's work so good for them. They didn't really press their beliefs on me which was good because I don't like that. I don't mind people telling me what they believe but I don't want anyone telling me I am wrong for what I believe. If they do, I will carve some bacon off of their back and feed it to them.

Rob said...

You are truly a man of God.