Total Pageviews

Friday, January 11, 2013

CAPS!

I'm excited that hockey is back.  I know a lot of people are bitter about the lockout.  I think it is pretty ridiculous.  If there is a sport that can't afford a work stoppage it is the NHL.  Still, for me, I'm glad it's back and it won't stop me from watching and enjoying it.

That said, should be an interesting Caps season.  The obvious big change is that Adam Oates takes over the reigns from Dale Hunter.  I like the selection.  Oates was a great player and a former Cap so he has personal connections with the team.  Also, from what I've heard, he is one of the smartest hockey minds out there.  That doesn't always transfer to coaching.  However, he has served the last several years as an assistant to Tampa Bay and New Jersey so he has paid some dues and seems deserving of a shot.  My understanding is that he will be a balance between Boudreau's offensive madness and Hunter's defensive prowess.  Should be interesting to see how his style fits the players.  Will also be interesting to see how quickly he can get the guys to buy in given the shortened camp/season.

Couple of other points of interest:

1. Holtby was tremendous down the stretch last season.  We will see if he can continue his strong play or if this is the second coming of Jim Carey.

2. Tom Poti is trying to make a return.   I liked Poti but he is older and been out of hockey for a while so not sure what he can offer now.

3. Ovie and the young guns aren't that young anymore so we will see how they do.

4. Backstrom hurt his neck in Moscow.  Hopefully it isn't bad and he can be healthy because he may now be the Caps best player.

5. Neuvy and Hamrlik were critical of the NHLPA during the lockout and there were Caps that were not happy with them so we'll see if there are any lingering bad feelings with them in the locker room.

In any event, I'm glad hockey is back and will be fun to Rock the Red and Unleash the Fury again. 

No comments: