Total Pageviews

Friday, August 31, 2012

CEAFOD draft results

I had the #1 overall pick (would have actually preferred a pick more in the middle of draft) and ended up with Arian Foster.  I remember a couple of years ago when I drafted him, Deepie said, "Who?"  Funny how he is a consensus #1 overall pick in draft rankings.

I like the makeup of my team.  I feel like I did a good job with the draft.  Last year was a down year for me and it all started with the draft.  I remember walking away from the draft last year feeling disappointed.  I felt like I got caught up in the Eagle "dream team" talk (took Vick) and falling into what the "pundits" were saying and didn't go with my gut.  It hurt me in the end.

This year I went more with my heart and I feel good with my team.

My RBs include Foster and Doug Martin who I hope is this year's Arian Foster.  Reviews for him are good as he can run, catch, and block so he seems like an every down back.  Blount has fallen out of favor with the coaching staff so I am looking for big things from Martin.

QB is E. Manning.  I don't really like Manning but he is a pretty good points producer and has proven that he is one of the better QBs in the league.  He is clutch and he has good weapons with Cruz and Nicks on his team.

WRs include Julio Jones who I think will have a breakout year this year.  He has been great in preseason and with White getting double teams, Jones will have mismatches on his side.  Other WR is Eric Decker who by all accounts has developed a good repoire with P. Manning so I'm hoping he has a breakout year as well.

TE is Tony Gonzalez.  He is long in the tooth but he is still productive and I've heard Hotlanta is looking to be more of a passing/attacking type of offense so hopefully we see a lot of Gonzo.  Backup TE is Jacob Tamme who like Decker has developed good chemistry with Manning and hopefully Tamme becomes the second coming of Dallas Clarke.

I also have Michael Bush who should steal carries from Forte and also be a good short down back so hopefully gets the TDs instead of Forte.  Cedric Benson who has been productive and who should start for the Packers at least to open the season.  Pierre Garcon who I think is primed for a big year.  I know he wants to prove he is a true number on wideout and I think the Shannys want to show that he is too.  RG3 has the arm to get him the ball, we'll see if Garcon can accommodate.

Not thrilled with NE as my defense but I went into the draft knowing I would sacrifice on defense.  I will probably end up swapping out my defense regularly over the course of the season.  Washington is my backup defense and I like their front seven.  The question with them is the secondary.  If the secondary proves to be stronger than expected this could be a good defense particularly with Banks as a return man.

Other notables include Flacco as backup QB, Nate Burleson WR, and Felix Jones at RB.  Don't expect much from Jones this season so doubt he will see the field much.

I face defending champion Robs in the opener and I'm looking forward to reclaiming my spot as the top team in the CEAFOD league.  Will be a good test and we'll make sure we are ready.

Good luck to all this year!

No comments: