Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tiki Barber coming out of retirement



Tiki Barber has filed papers to come out of retirement and try to revive his NFL career, his agent Mark Lepselter confirmed to ESPN on Tuesday.

Barber, 35, hasn't played since the 2006 season with the New York Giants, where he spent his entire 10-year career. Most recently he has been a correspondent for "The Today Show" and "Sunday Night Football" on NBC.

"After seeing my brother still have fun at our age, it reignited the fire," Tiki Barber said, according to FOXSports.com. "I'm really looking forward to the challenge of seeing if I can get back to the level of where I was. I started working out again recently. It kind of shocked myself. I still had a lot of the strength I had before. I'm really looking forward to making a return."

Barber went out on top, rushing for 1,662 yards and five touchdowns in 2006. He ran for 10,449 yards with a 4.7 yards per carry average in his career.

What is this guy doing? He was a pretty good football player but he is becoming a little bit of a freak show. Will be interesting to see what becomes of his resurrection but don't see him doing a whole lot.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Tiki left his wife of 11 years when she was pregnant with twins (they now have 4 kids together) for a 23 year old intern. That doesn't play well to the Today show crowd demographic.

So NBC used their morals clause to justify termination of his $300,000/year contract.

So he is out of a high paying job, and his wife and 4 kids need to get their financial support from him.

His only choice is to go back and try to play football. The NFL is not kind to 36 year old running backs and I would be surprised if he did anything.

It is clear that he is not doing it for love of the game - but for the money. Not exactly the kind of thing you want to take a chance on if you are most teams. He will get a league minimum contract somewhere, but not much else.

j, k, and s's d said...

I hear Two and a Half Men has an opening. He could apply for that job.

Tiki probably took that photo on this post himself and said, "Man, I look unbelievable! I could tear this league up!!!" However, once he gets to training camp and goes through a couple of days of practice, he will wish he had never come back.

Scott said...

Yep, Tiki is a moron. After succesfully making the Lynn Swan leep to tv and actually pushing it a bit further, he f-ed himself. Even though he has not been through the wear and tear for the last few years, at that age, he will be slow and less elusive. He's in for some significant concussions.

BTW-I heard this morning that NFL players after 1993 receive a pension of $470 per month X the number of qualifying years they have in the league. Pretty low.