Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 14, 2010

New Karate Kid

I watched the new Karate Kid movie this past week. It was decent. It followed the original fairly closely. However, in the end, I have to say I enjoyed the original more.

What I liked about the new one is that the production was obviously better given the resources and the amount of money given to the newer version. The karate sequences were obviously much better and frankly a little surprising given how young the actors were. Jaden Smith did a pretty good job of acting and it was a little funny because it very much seemed like a young version of Will Smith.

What I felt it lacked was real character development. I felt the original did a better job overall in each of the main characters development. I also felt that the relationship Daniel had with Myagi was developed better and a little more natural than the one Dre had with Mr. Han. Again, the characters of the Kobra Kai and Ally and how they were woven together with Daniel were better and more natural than those characters in the new movie.

Still, all in all, an entertaining movie. Watched it with my son and he seemed to enjoy it and understood some of the lessons that come from it.

4 comments:

Scott said...

We liked the new one, also. We watched the old one recently. It went too much into Daniel's relationship with Elizabeth Shue and constant persecution by the bad kids. Therefore, for my kids, I liked the new one more.

j, k, and s's d said...

I suppose the older was is a little bit more "mature." Still, in the older one the friendships seemed more genuine and more well developed as opposed to the newer one. For instance, I never really felt like Dre and Han were developing a real friendship so when Dre says to Han, "You're the best friend I ever had." I just didn't feel it whereas in the original, because that relationship was more developed, it seemed more genuine when Daniel san said it to Myagi.

Also, while the karate sequences weren't as good in the original, I felt that the respect Daniel earned from the Kobra Kai was more genuine than the new version. Kreese was a better villain too.

I will say that the new version is probably better suited for younger kids to watch. It's still an entertaining movie and we enjoyed it.

j, k, and s's d said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

Hey, what did you think of Avatar? Do you know wish that your world was like the one in Avatar?