Total Pageviews

Monday, May 4, 2009

Rock the Red Tonight!

Game #2 tonight. Good Game #1 on Saturday and it was good that the Caps pulled it out. The interesting thing is that it was very clear to see how different the Penguins play from the Rangers. The Rangers series was more of a bump and grind series with the Rangers playing strong defense and great goal tending.

The Pens series is going the way I would expect with more of an up tempo, European feel to it which I believe plays well with the Caps. I think it took us a while to adjust coming off of the 7 game series with the Rangers but I expect us to be better prepared tonight.

Game #1 was exciting. Varlamov let in the one REALLY soft goal but more than made up for it with his play, particularly with the, as Robs would say, "ridiculou" save on Crosby. The announcers said it was the save of the playoffs and you won't find me disagreeing. As I have said, you need strong goalie play in the playoffs and we've certainly gotten it.

I do expect higher scoring games in this series with the offensive talent and the style of play. I think our defense is better and if Varly can keep it up, I think our goaltending is better. The one thing we really have to look out for is when the Pens are on attack, they do a lot of crossing paths once they get over the blue line. Where the guy skating on the right with the puck will veer to the left and the guy on the left will go right and skate behind the other guy. This can cause confusion for the defenders. Basically, it's like playing zone defense in football. Stay home and don't get crossed up because if we do, it can leave someone wide open for an easy shot.

It would really be great to see the Caps take the 2-0 series lead tonight. I've mentioned this is the series I want to win. While I hope we win the Cup and wouldn't be totally surprised if we did, getting past Crosby, Malkin, and the rest of the Penguins would be enough to tell me that it has been a very successful year.

UNLEASH THE FURY!!!

No comments: