Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Jason Candle



Alright so the Skins are 1-3 over the last four games and the offense has been sputtering. There are some that are complaining that JC is off his game. I say bullshat. It's always very easy to point at the QB as the problem. However, you have to look at the offense as a whole. I'm not saying JC is not without fault. I'm sure he could have made some better decisions at times. However, we have to remember that he is still a young QB (this is his first full year as a starter) and he having to learn yet another offensive system (this time it is the west coast offense).

Not only that but the O line has been letting him down big time over the last 4 games. He has spent more time on his back or dodging defensive players looking to put him on his back. He is not getting the time or protection he needs to make plays. Also, he has had a number of dropped passes so the receivers are not helping him out much. Frankly, he doesn't have much of a receiving corps to work with. Moss is fine but Randle El is not a number 2 WR and Thrash is not a number 3 WR.

Jason Campbell is the 12 rated QB in the league. I am just fine with that. Overall, he has played well in my opinion. What he needs is some help around him to make him better. He is entering the prime of his career and to me he has matured a lot this year. I believe he is a franchise QB. I'm glad he is getting to learn the system this year. Hopefully we can help him out by drafting some O linemen in the offseason. Rinehardt seems capable and may end up filling in for the aging Kendall next year. We need more help at RG/RT. Additionally, we NEED for either Thomas or Kelly (preferably both) to become major contributors next year. They have the size and speed to be threats they just need to work hard and come in to camp in shape and learn the offense. They haven't been able to do that yet. If we get the line help and production from those young WRs, I believe Campbell can be a great QB in this league.

What I like from him this year, again, is that I can see that he has grown as a leader. He seems more confident in understanding the NFL and taking control of the game. I'm sure he has made mistakes but for all of the issues mentioned (his youth, lack of line help, lack of WR help), I believe he has played admirably.

Frankly, if we were to make a move in the offseason at QB it would be a big mistake. Who would we go with? Brennan? Yeah, right. Brennan played pretty well against 3rd stringers and guys that didn't make NFL teams in the preseason and he is the "sexy" pick but he is not ready to lead an NFL team particularly in the tough NFC East. He is small in stature and has the side arm throw. I'm not saying that he can't develop. All I am saying is that JC has done nothing in my opinion to warrant any type of change and to even consider a change in my mind would be ridiculous as it would set our offense back even further.

No comments: