Much to Robs chagrin, the Skins come back from St. Louis victorious. TREMENDOUS defensive effort as they just dominated the game. Here are my thoughts:
1. DEFENSE: Haven't seen that kind of defense from the Skins in a LONG time. We shut down Jackson holding him to 45 yards on 17 carries. We forced them to pass and we were on Bradford all day recording 7 sacks. Orakpo in on 2.5 of them. Good to see the addition of Bowen in on 1.5 of them and Kerrigan is making a claim to be defensive ROY by getting one sack and getting a forced fumble. Can't say enough about their effort yesterday. They kept the Rams to less than 100 yards total offense until well into the fourth quarter. They also stood tall on a number of occasions when the offense put them in tough spots.
2. Riding the Crazy TO-RAIN!: Torain got his first extended action yesterday and took full advantage. He ran hard all day and finished with 135 yards on 19 carries. Helu and Hightower also contributed giving the Skins nearly 200 rushing yards on the day. Still, Torain was the story as he just pounded the ball when he got in there. Looks like we have a 3 headed monster with our running back corps.
3. Special teams average: Nothing bad but Gano wasn't getting his kicks into the end zone as often. Banks looked like he was doing his ARE impression. Seemed to be doing more hopping than running. Still, they didn't do anything bad so I was fine with them.
4. Rexy struggled: Was okay. Made some solid throws but they were throws most QBs should/would/could make. However, similar to last week, it looked like he had that tentative/scared look late in the game. I really don't like seeing that. Then he make a few really poor decisions that could have cost us the game. The plays that really bothered me included:
- The INT to Laurantis (sp?). Just like last week, he did not pay attention to the LB dropping back in coverage. Again, he threw out to his left and it was an easy shift for the LB and a throw right to him. It was Lee last week and Laurantis this week. Just a terrible decision. He ended up running it down to our 19 yd line but thanks to two sacks from our defense, we were able to take them out of FG range.
- The last drive deep in our territory. We get a couple of first downs and we can run the clock out and close out the game. After two runs, it sets up a 3rd and 3. Moss does a quick button hook right at the first down marker and is wide open. It's a short/easy pass and Rexy sails it well over his head. That was a tough play because we could have gotten a first down and knocked even more time off of the clock. Again, thanks to the defense for stepping up and ending the game.
- Third quarter, Rexy goes play action and rolls out to his left. It's a tough play because he is right handed and going to have to throw across his body. His primary targets were covered and instead of running it or throwing it out of bounds Rexy stops and then awkwardly throws back towards the middle of the field for a near INT.
- The botched snap in shotgun. From all accounts, it seemed as though Montgomery looked back at Rexy and got the okay to snap the ball. When Montgomery put his head down, looked like Rexy was calling an audible after telling Montgomery he was good to snap. Montgomery snapped it to Rexy who wasn't ready but fortunately we were able to cover the ball. Not sure who was at fault but certainly Rexy deserves partial blame.
We won and that is a good thing and at 3-1 I am not looking to make any changes but Rexy certainly needs to improve his game.
The good news is that again, we are 3-1. If someone were to tell me at the beginning of the season that we would be 3-1 after four weeks and heading into the bye week, I would take it in a heartbeat. I feel pretty good about the team and we certainly look like a team that can compete each week. Again, great to come out with a victory and be atop the East.