Have to say that I am pleased with what the Redskins have done and their approach to FA. Here are a few things that I have been happy with:
1. Taking care of the McNabb and Haynesworth issues: In a matter of 24 hours, they got rid of both of these guys. McNabb is a standup guy and a class act and I'm glad we did right by him and traded him as soon as possible. Haynesworth is the anti-McNabb but we needed to jettison him ASAP so he wouldn't become a distraction and unnecessary story going into the season.
2. WR depth: We brought in a number of quality vets. There are no superstars in this group but these guys can produce and coupling them with some of our younger guys creates good competition. Not all of these guys will make the team but we have a bunch of guys that will bring out the best in each other and who will fight to make the team. Many of these guys have something to prove.
3. Pickup of Josh Wilson: Pretty much ends the Carlos Rogers era. I liked Carlos but he never panned out to what was expected of him. Also, the guy had hands of stone. He had countless opportunities for easy INTs that could have made differences in games. He's still a solid corner but I'm sure he expects big time money and I don't have a problem seeing him go particularly when we get a player like Josh Wilson. He's smaller but has great speed and is a qualty CB that understands the 3-4.
4. Pickup of Cofield: This guy can play DE or NT in the 3-4. He's younger and talented and will help free up guys like Orakpo and Kerrigan. This will be a big addition.
5. Staying away from the high profile marquee names: Love this. We have stayed away from Santonio Holmes who just got one of the biggest contracts for a WR. He's a good player but I don't think he is WAY up there. His stats haven't been overly impressive. Sure, he is a good player but people/teams get enamored by these big names and end up overspending big time. The Skins have been guilty of this numerous times. Holmes is also one strike away from significant suspension time. Instead of Asomugha, we get Wilson. I like Asomugha as he seems to have great character but he will command big bucks and at 30 years old not sure how much you would want to commit to a guy like that.
We need to address the O line and I would still love to see Cullen Jenkins here as he is familiar with the 3-4 and could make a difference.
Still, I love the approach to FA this season. Getting solid guys but not overspending on anyone. We have several holes and it seems like this management team is going about it the right way by bringing in quality guys to fill many holes as opposed to bringing in one or two high priced, big name players and forgetting about the rest of the needs.