Mixed thoughts on the victory. It's nice to see the Skins win and it was a pretty good game but I have said before that I would like to see us lose out as that is pretty much the only way we can hope to see change with the ass that is Cerrato in the offseason.
However, again, it was nice to see a win. It's been a while and you kind of forget how good it feels to pull one out.
Here are some thoughts on the game:
1. Levi Jones was a HUGE step up from Heyer at LT. He helped anchor a rejuvenated line that didn't allow a sack the entire first half and provided Betts and Cartright good running lanes that led to our best running game of the year.
2. JC was solid hitting 10 different receivers in the game. He hung in the pocket and again tucked and ran decisively which is want we all want to see. Disappointed he missed Moss on the wide open deep ball. He has done that a few times this year and we really need those since those opportunities are few and far between.
3. The 4th and 20 pass from Hunter the punter was ridiculous. I was shocked to see what the hell we were doing. I figured it would be a quick kick and then when he was looking to throw in front of him, I was thinking what the hell is this? We have no shot at getting a first down and then when he flung it across the field and I saw a wide open Sellers, it was amazing. It seemed like a really long and confusing play and I guess it was. It was pretty neat to see it work. If the Skins had a better record and playoffs seemed like more of a possibility, I would not have liked the call but given that we don't really have much to lose at this point, it was an exciting play.
4. Betts and Cartright were solid. These guys seemed to both have a little extra hop in their step. What I liked was that they were running to the holes hard. These guys practice every day (unlike CP) so they know their linemen and know when/how to hit the holes. I also liked that we were running hard up the middle and doing less stretch runs which do not play to our O line strengths. Will be interesting to what happens as CP gets healthy. Really feel like Betts and Cartright deserve bigger roles in our offense.
5. Playcalling was sound. We had great balance between run and pass. I like that we worked in some pass plays with JC rolling out. We also seem to have better and more decisive short passes. I have noticed things being a little more aggressive and JC and other Skins have mentioned the same. Maybe Sherm Lewis knows what he's doing after all.
6. Devin Thomas. Liked that he was getting a little more involved. His screen that he turned into a 27 yard gain was tremendous individual effort. The guy made more guys miss in that one play then in his entire NFL career. He can be a playmaker but we just need to get him the ball. The guy is an exciting player that brings a lot of energy. He's a playmaker and you need to get the ball to your playmakers. He's the kind of guy that can make shorter passes into longer gains with his ability to run after the catch and we need to find ways to get him the ball.
7. Defense is becoming an issue. For the third game in a row, we have been giving up multiple big plays. This is unacceptable. Understand that we knocked Orton out of the game but if we take those two deep balls away from the Broncos, they pretty much had nothing. I don't understand how guys get SO wide open. Again, these big plays must stop.
8. Carlos Rogers once again falls for the double move. I like Rogers and think he could be a pretty good CB but he always falls for the double move. He has had issues with that his entire career. I was happy to see him get benched and thought Smoot did a good job stepping in. The tough part for Rogers is that he is in a contract year and playing the way he did and getting benched doesn't help his cause for a bigger contract. Still, he has to play better or else I say go with Smoot.
9. Orakpo is a monster. That guys along with Andre Carter are very disruptive and with the help of Haynesworth, we finally have a line that is able to get pressure on the QB.
10. Red zone offense has gotten MUCH better. All of a sudden the last couple of weeks we are finding ways to get TDs. That's great news.
All in all a good effort. Again, in some ways, I prefer losing out but then again, it was nice to see a victory. What's interesting is that with all these NFC teams losing, the Skins really aren't out of it. I know that is kind of crazy talk and I really don't want to entertain that idea right now. After all, it was only one game. However, a victory this week against Dallas would make things kind of interesting.